Things that run through my mind as I gaze at my two week old daughter:
- What are you thinking?
- What’s with all the peach fuzz, downy soft, all over your body, including the light powder puff clouds on your cheeks?
- You’re kind of hairy.
- Is that my nose? Are those my eyes? My fingers and toes? What about those lips?
- Your eyebrows are slowly starting to appear.
- Your fingers are so long and slender, and your toes are super long, too. They’re so tiny and yet so perfect.
- Will you sleep enough tonight? Will I?
- Are you getting enough to eat?
- How do you trust me so implicitly? Am I worthy of your love and trust?
- What’s next? For me, for you, for our family?
//35mm photo of ceramics and peppercorns from Heath Ceramics in Sausalito, CA. Many years ago – maybe 2017?